Barents regional youth programme 2011-2014
Aims and perspectives
It is an overall aim of the programme to make the Barents Region more attractive for young people so that they stay in the region or return after completing their education. The Programme offers young people opportunities for mobility, realization of own project ideas, active participation in the Barents cooperation and the development of the Barents Region. The program aims to highlight the qualities of life and the wish to live in the high north with focus on diversity and multiculturalism. It aims to contribute to the achievement of increased cross border youth cooperation within all areas in addition to development of skills and competencies, which promote active citizenship.
The programme has the following objectives:
- To increase youth participation in the Barents Regional cooperation’s networks by giving young people increased influence and possibilities for cross border activities.
- To contribute to a good reputation for the regions in addition to the inhabitants pride toward the region and awareness of the qualities of life in the high north.
- To strengthen young people’s sense of identity as members of the Barents Region by establishing contact across cultural and geographical borders
- To encourage young people to play an active role in strengthening civil society and democracy in the Barents Region To encourage young people to give free expression and support the fight against racism and xenophobia.
- To strengthen the position and rights for indigenous youth and minorities through increased multilateral and multicultural cooperation
- Culture and sport (including Tolerance and anti racism)
- Competence and Entrepreneurship
- Human Rights and Democracy
- Environmental issues
- Community development (including promotion of active citizenship)
Within the framework of the aforementioned general objectives and priorities, the Barents Regional Committee draws up specific priorities each year.
In 2011 priority will be given to projects and initiatives dealing with: Human Rights, Diversity and quality of life- the good life in the high north.
In 2012 priority will be given to projects and initiatives dealing with: Culture Gender equality.
In 2013 priority will be given to projects and initiatives dealing with: Innovation, entrepreneurship and international business development in the Barents region.
In 2014 priority will be given to projects and initiatives dealing with: Environmental issues with focus on climate change Promotion of active citizenship and empowerment of young people in the Barents region.